Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Breaking through the concrete


This time last year I was going through absolute hell in my relationship. My boyfriend at the time was showing his oh-so-possesive, controlling jealous asshole side on a consistent basis. So much so that I was afraid of what the consequences would be if I left. So, after surviving the relationship from hell last year, I am still very much afraid of falling for anyone. I mean, how does one trust again after seeing a fun, passionate relationship turn into a treacherous disaster full of distrust and despair. I don't know that I was ever in love with him; I think I just fell in love with the idea of him. He was so different in reality than what I made him out to be. It was easy to make him about to be the man of my dreams since it was long distance for the first year of our relationship. But when he moved in, the red flags started waving furiously. I ignored them, wanting so badly to believe he was who I wanted him to be. But I could only ignore them for so long. Because they went from red flags to grenades being thrown at me. In six months of living together, I found out who he truly was - a controlling, possessive, jealous person with no respect for who I truly was. I put up with it all for six months still after that! I wish I hadn't but felt I didn't have a choice since I got laid off right when I was breaking things off with him.

So that is why I have no desire to get into a serious relationship right now. I am enjoying dating when I can find time for it. I am enjoying the casual first meetings, fun nights out, first kisses, etc. But I guess I wonder if it is really possible to find true love. Every girl wants it. But I wonder if I will be searching for it the rest of my life. Would I miss it if it were right in front of me because I carry so much baggage with me wherever I go? Will anyone be able to break down the walls that I have so carefully constructed around me? Will I know my real prince when he stares into my eyes?

2 comments:

Miss Heather Leigh said...

Oh good grief. I know exactly how that kind of relationship goes! Only I put up with it for 6 months, and then 3 more years after that. Anyways though, good luck in your search. I don't know if every girl wants it (love), though. I was very much in love with my ex, and I adore the guy I'm with now; but like you I have walls up, and am very afraid of repeating the last 3 and a half years over. No thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I'm in the exact same boat! It's so hard to trust someone with your heart without feeling vulnerable. Maybe one day we'll find it, who knows... but right now it seems really hard to believe in true love.