Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'm Magically Delicious


I went to a big St. Patty's Day Festival in Piedmont Park yesterday. This is always a fun event with lots of drinking, good bands and fun people watching, and the weather could not have been more perfect for it. I went by myself (mainly because I couldn't find anyone to go with me) as part of my new "What the hell, embrace loneliness" attitude. Well, maybe going to a big drinking festival alone isn't exactly the way to embrace my loneliness. There I sat on a blanket in the big crowded festival, all alone. And, guess what, no one approached me (at all). Maybe I seemed like a weird loner, maybe I am just too old for this crowd, I don't know. I don't think I look much older than everyone else, and I certainly don't look like a weird loner. I am an attractive blonde, and I was enjoying the music and a beer like everyone else. But I wasn't wearing a costume or a shirt that said "Eat me, I'm Italian" or "I'm Magically Delicious" or the upside down "If you can read this, put me back on my barstool" (yes, I did see women wearing these). Eventually (after a couple of beers) I did get up and go to the front and dance to the band. I had fun even though I was utterly and completely alone at this crazy, drunken bash. I talked to a few random people around me, but none of them invited me to join them and their friends, which I was surprised by really. After about an hour of dancing I decided to leave. It was still early (only about 8:00), but I called it a night. I didn't want to be too drunk to drive (and I knew if I stayed I would want to keep partying). That is one disadvantage of going alone. I don't regret going it alone, but I do wish that I had met someone interesting, even a new friend would have been great.

No comments: