Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Bachelor's Decision


I confess I watch "The Bachelor" on a regular basis, and last night's episode was indeed a doozy. Jason was forced to choose between two women - Melissa and Molly. He chose Melissa and proposed to her in what would have made a romantic fairy tale ending to the show, but wait - its not over. Because right after, the follow up show "After the Final Rose" comes on and he decides that things aren't going as he wished six weeks later and dumps Melissa on air! Then he immediately asks Molly if he can try dating her again! At first I thought "What a cad!" But then I got to thinking: haven't we all made decisions and then changed our minds once we learned we weren't right for eachother? I know I have. I once was dating a sweet, fun college professor who I was really into, and when I realized he wasn't as into me as I was into him, I decided to dump him for the Mr. Executive who was really into me and showed it. That was a mistake on my part. I should have stayed with Mr. College Professor to see where it was going. It may not have gone anywhere, but I realize now that going with Mr. Executive was a huge error in judgement. And isn't this what Jason did? He realized that Melissa wasn't the right girl for him, and rather than stringing her along just because the audience would want them to stay together, he chose to let her go. I don't think it was right for him to do it on national television and humiliate Melissa in front of millions of people, but he was right to let her go if he didn't feel it in his heart. And Molly, well, lets just say I'll be very surprised if it works out between them. She, after all, is second choice. They might beat the odds and make it work, but I doubt it. After all, he has a lot of explaining to do.

No comments: