Thursday, September 18, 2008

New Rules Apply


Dating today is so different now. Technology has really changed the whole scene. What with match site dating and texting and email, it really is a different world. And I'm not so sure I like it. As much as I find it easy to avoid talking to someone I don't want to converse with, I find it harder to get to know someone if you mainly communicate through texts and emails. And truthfully, I don't have time to answer my phone and chat awhile anyway. I work all day and take care of my child in the evenings. So a brief email to confirm a date works fine. But can you still really get to know someone if there is no verbal communication during the week? Does this slow the getting-to-know-you process? It seems to take away from the whole concept of a guy trying to woo a girl. What kind of romantic courtship is taking place through a text? It seems to diminish the importance of the date. It keeps it on a casual level. So is this letting guys off easy?

2 comments:

Miss Caught Up said...

Interesting topic! Technology certainly has put a new spin on things.

I've found it easier to get to know someone through text or emails, because it's an easy ice-breaker. It'll be less comfortable during the date.

However, if I don't hear from the guy during the week I would deem him uninterested in me and I would write him off as un-date-able. I think there should be something, a simple "Hello, how are you" on text would even suffice to show some interest.

I wouldn't say technology only lets guys off easy. It definitely lets women off easy as well.

Thirtysomething said...

AMEN sista! I think I am right there with you... what to do what to do... It's nice to see i'm not the ONLY one still single and looking.......